Star Trek Beyond Is a Worthy Addition to the Sci-Movies Pantheon !


I can still remember my mom going bowling and sending my big brother and I across the street to see The Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn back in 1982. I was 7 years old. It was glorious, and I immediately became enraptured in this whole big thing called sci-fi. I also of course became a lifelong Trek fan!  It was from this point forward that Sci-Fi movies became a passion for me!

So now on the 50th Anniversary I know there is a collective holding of the breath to all of us fans. With Star Trek Beyond, could the franchise be taking a bold new turn toward a new frontier of successful movie going experiences? Or would this new installment directed by that Fast and the Furious Director be just a bad set of action sequences shoved together to achieve modern blockbuster status? Well, the good news is that yes, there are definitely some totally amazing action sequences. And, they are every bit as cool as they are when you watch them in the Fast and the Furious movies! And more importantly, those action sequences are way fun, but they are by no means the only focus of the movie!




Really, the Fast and the Furious director here (Lin) has done the unthinkable. Yes, he has brought some really snazzy effects and action into an already beloved sci-fi franchise. In fact, I would say it is by far the best action I have ever seen in a Star trek movie and some of the best looking effects ever on film. Yes, the effects are that good. But more importantly, Lin has made those action scenes seguay back and forth between some fun character interactions. I won’t spoil the movie here, but know that our favorite Starfleet crew is forced split up in this movie in order to try to save the day. This then forces some just fun character interactions that have made us love the franchise all along. Simon Pegg (Scotty) should absolutely be applauded for a good screenplay that allows each of our favorite characters some decent screen time.


I saw this movie with my wife. She thought the best part was the character interactions. I thought those were ok. However, as stated before, I was pretty blown away by the action and effects here. I wish I could say I was more thrilled by the characters and dialogue, but in all honesty, I would have laughed if Leonard Nimoy or William Shatner were giving the lines. Given by Pine and Quinto, I found them to just be ok. Unlike the first film with the new crew, where I really thought the characters nailed it. But, as I said, take that with a grain of salt, as my wife really liked the character interactions.

In the end, we finally can say we have another great time at a Star Trek movie! This is one that even casual action movie lovers will find much to love. And who knows maybe some kid somewhere will get sent across the street to watch a movie with his big brother. And just maybe that kid will have the time of his life and become another life-long Trek fan.

Thanks for the life long adventure Star Trek. And Happy 50th!

Incidentally, I added these three pictures above to the Sci-Fi movies website because I thought they were the three coolest parts of the movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment